Can't install Skype on Windows 10 Mobile? Here it's a workaround

For months I have been plagued by an error when installing Skype on my Lumia 530, running Windows 10 Mobile. I am not sure, but pretty much since Microsoft merged Skype UWP with Skype from Windows Phone 8 on Store, I started having issues.
Sometimes I was able to install it tweaking the storage settings to install apps on internal memory, but lately that doesn't work anymore.
There is something wrong on store, in my view. The Store lists Skype app and all the preview images match the new UWP design for Windows 10. However, the requirements say Windows Phone 8 and the download size is around 19MB. This makes me think Store is trying to install old Skype from Windows Phone 8, which is no longer supported, and not the UWP, because it's package is > 90MB large. Such a mess...
I never understood which phones are actually affected by this, but I have seen many people complaining and getting the same error as me, and it seems to affect phones pre-installed with Windows Phone 8.1. Maybe it's sue the fact I am running Windows 10 Mobile on unsupported hardware, but as far as I know, Skype doesn't require special hardware.

The workaround

This might not be the best solution for many, but it works, it's reliable and it's the only way I have found to get Skype running on my Lumia 530. Basically, I got the .appxbundle. This is the app package that you can use to manually sideload the app.
Thanks to Windows 10 Mobile improvements, there is no need to install SDK's on your PC, you can directly sideload apps from your phone, by simply taping the file. However, you must enable this functionality.

  1. Go to Settings, then Security & Update, under For Developers, select Sideload apps or enable Developer Mode
  2. Download the appxbundle. This is latest Skype version, 11.13.115.0.
  3. Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable and move the appxbundle to internal storage or memory card. Alternatively, you can upload the file to OneDrive and then download it to your phone.
  4. Tap the file using the File Explorer. It will ask if you are sure you want to install Skype. Press Yes. It might take a few minutes to deploy the app because the package is quite large. On my phone took 1-2 minutes for the app show on App List. Be patient.


That's it, enjoy :)

What's new on Skype 11.13


  • Simplified contacts access: Now the Skype app uses the OS contacts permission future rather than having to be turned on in Skype itself. This menas that you can now enable or disable Skype’s access to your contacts from the settings app.
  • You can now search your Skype chats for specific messages. This does not apply to SMS messages sync’d via a compatible Windows phone.
  • Microsoft has added support for Skype SMS, meaning that you can now send SMSes via Skype’s traditional paid SMS service #(although you cannot receive replies via this method) as well as athrough SMS relay.
  • Microsoft has added new keyboard shortcuts to make messaging easier – though I’m not entirely sure what Skype supports as there is no exhaustive list of shortcuts anywhere.
  • You can now switch your microphone, camera or transfer to a new device while making a Skype call.
  • Fially, Microsoft has edited the group video calling interface.

Comentários